Monday 3 September 2012

Make Do and Mend - Garden Bench Cushion - Tutorial

As you know from one of my early posts at the beginning of the year about new year resolutions, one of which included landscaping the garden.  I have not blogged as much as I would like on this resolution (or baking, that is not going very well at all).  The garden has been hard work nevertheless it is beginning to pay off.  Sadly most of our efforts have been dampened by the terrible wet weather we have had this summer.  I am determined for our garden to be an all year round pleasure, so will continue our projects.  I posted a make do and mend - a garden bench a while ago, so I suppose you could call this a follow-up.


When I first painted the bench I left it in its original home, under a beautiful silver birch.  I loved how the branches created the perfect dapple shade for what is a very sunny spot.  Unfortunately this silver birch is also home to some of our pesty pigeons!  So the bench very quickly became covered in poo AGAIN!!!

So I have now found a new home for the bench, against the outhouse.  The only problem I had with it's new home is the classic cream against white.  The bench no longer stands out, like it did before in front of the wonderful flint wall.

So with a big annual family BBQ coming up this Sunday, I was under pressure to pretty up the garden, the garden bench seemed like the best place to start.  

I managed to get some beautiful pink and green floral fabric from The Fabric Shop in Worthing for just £6.99 a metre.



Here is the step by step tutorial - Make Do and Mend - Garden Bench Cushion




You will need:
Fabric of choice
Foam cut to size of bench (I always get mine from here although this time I thrifted some off M&D)
Buttons 
Scissors 
Thread 
Pins
Tape Measure

Step 1
Measure the foam length and width, add an inch to each (for seam allowance) also add the depth of the foam, mine was 1 inch, so I added another 2 inches to width and length.  I also added another 2 inches to the length (optional).  See step 8.


Step 2
Fold the fabric in half right sides together, cut out desired length and width.


Step 3
Pin the two pieces of fabric right sides together all the way round, leaving a good opening on the length (to insert the foam later)


Step 4
Sew all pinned fabric on the machine, leaving the opening.



Step 5 (optional)
Zig zag stitch all the way round to ensure minimal fraying  

Step 6
Turn right-side out, poke corners


Step 7
Insert foam, then pin the opening and secure with a slip stitch.


Step 8 (optional)
Where I added an extra 2 inches to the length at each end of the newly covered cushion I had an inch of residue fabric at each end to which I added a random selection buttons.






Congratulations your Garden Bench Cushion is Complete!

I have tried to make this tutorial as easy to follow as possible, however, the creative possibilities for decorating and making your garden bench cushion are endless.  I even added a back for the bench with ties.  

Nice to see you again.
Xxx


1 comment:

  1. A cushions set for garden bench can be a bright and cheerful additions to your garden. It depends on you how you want to decorate it. Well, I get very impressive and informative info here to make some home made garden bench cushions. I will sew some for myself.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete